2010-02-23

Grammar: -tara ~たら #2 and #3

Use of the conditional ~たら #2 and #3: to state an intention or offer a suggestion.

 
#2: to state an intention. For example, "after I eat, I'm going to sleep." 「食べたら、すぐ寝る。」 "When he answers, we'll decide." 「彼が答えたら、決める。」 Notice that the actions are ordered; the verbX with -tara attached must happen before verbY. 

#3: to suggest. For example, "how about you eat at Matsuya's today?/ Why don't you eat at Matsuya's today?" 「今日、松屋で食べたらどう(ですか)。」

Necessary vocabulary for all Japanese students:

血に飢えた・ちにうえた bloodthirsty
一角獣・いっかくじゅう     unicorn
逃げる・にげる                 run away, escape
去る・さる                          leave

I just noticed that I made a mistake with my unicorn kanji! Did you notice, or would it have been better if I'd said nothing?

1 comment:

  1. Obviously this vocab is necessary. You might as well not bother studying Japanese if you don't know "blood-thirsty" and "unicorn". That's just basic level stuff here!

    (And I wouldn't have noticed the mistake either if you didn't make me wanna find it...)

    Grammar learning is much better in comic form.

    ReplyDelete