2011-06-15

Play some guitar and learn some Japanese

I took up guitar a month ago, thanks to a guitar-happy friend. Originally my goal was to play "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, which I had become obsessed with, and which, having only a few chords, seemed conquerable. Well, I still can't play B minor with any competency, unfortunately. But I am now able to play one of my favorite Japanese songs: チェインギャング (Chain Gang) by ザ・ブルー・ハーツ (The Blue Hearts).


I got the lyrics and the chords for Chain Gang at a site called Gakki , which also sells instruments (as you can probably tell by its name). It only has three chords, so it isn't the most complicated song, but I am practicing my Japanese, and learning new words. Once you translate the song, you basically have a sure-fire way to remember new vocabulary and their definitions. Even if you aren't teaching yourself/playing guitar, learning songs is a good way to practice pronunciation (although you'll find some singers who distort their words) and expand your repertoire of words. Some of the songs I'm hoping to move onto, once I finally conquer finally get tired of trying to conquer B minor are:

Luna Sea's Fate, more because it is fun to sing than the guitar part:


The Blue Hearts' キスして欲しい


Jero's 海雪, even though I'll never be able to sing it:



B'z's Calling:


Aqua Timez's 虹:
 

 Do As Infinity 真実の詩, although it was the ending song for Inuyasha, which I hate with illogical passion:


 ELLEGARDEN's Marry Me, even though it isn't in Japanese at all:

No comments:

Post a Comment